This Day in Province History: July 1, 1839

Bishop John Dubois of New York invited the Augustinians to take over the parish of Saint Paul in Brooklyn. Within a few weeks, Fathers Nicholas and James O’Donnell moved to Brooklyn from Philadelphia.

This Day in Province History: June 30, 1999

On this date in, 1999, the Province, after over 140 years of service, relinquished administration of Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.

This Day in Province History: June 29, 1922

Fr. Nicholas Vasey with his Council approved the plan to purchase a 145 acre property at Malvern, Pennsylvania, to establish there a high school, the successor of Villanova College’s ‘Academy’.

This Day in Province History: June 28, 1926

A cablegram from Rome communicated the Prior General’s decision “that it will be permissible to employ the garage at New Hamburg to take care of the overflow of novices.”

This Day in Province History: June 27, 1898

This date marks the opening of the 6th Provincial Chapter at Villanova with Sebastiano Martinelli, Prior General and Apostolic Delegate presiding. Elected was Fr. John Fedigan as Prior Provincial.

This Day in Province History: June 22, 1920

The Definitory approved drafting a resolution of congratulations to the newly elected Prior General, Tommaso Giachetti, and of appreciation of his nomination of Charles Mary Driscoll as Assistant General.

This Day in Province History: June 21, 1796

Fr. Matthew Carr wrote to the Prior General requesting the formal establishment of the Order in the United States, with permission to receive novices and to admit candidates to religious profession.