This Day in Province History: June 20, 1994

Possibly the largest Provincial Chapter in the history of the Order, and the first to gather all friars with active voice, convened at Villanova with 240 friars in attendance. 

This Day in Province History: June 18, 1910

President William H. Taft was awarded the Degree of Doctor of Jurisprudence by Villanova College during the presidency of Fr. Laurence Delurey. He was a guest in the Monastery Dining Room together with Archbishop Patrick Ryan, Bishop Da Silva of Portugal, Governor Edwin Stuart of Pennsylvania and Philadelphia Mayor Rayburn.

This Day in Province History: June 17, 1860

Today is the date of the laying of the cornerstone of a new church in Troy, New York, to be named St. Augustine, by Bishop John McCloskey, during the pastorate of Fr. Thomas Galberry.

This Day in Province History: June 16, 1969

The Province’s summer house at Fifth Street in Ocean City was secured through the efforts of Fr. Edward Carney and was made available to the friars of the Province, replacing the former house in Sea Isle City destroyed several years earlier in a hurricane.

This Day in Province History: June 15, 1961

The last of the Augustinian missionaries in Cuba, 35 friars in all, left Havana by order of the Prior Provincial, James Donnellon, after 62 years of ministry in that country. Only one remained, Fr. John McKniff. 

This Day in Province History: June 9, 1817

Fr. Matthew Carr wrote to the Prior General on this day in 1817, uncharacteristically signing himself, “Vicar General, O.E.S.A, and Provincial of the Province of Our Lady of Good Counsel,” with the attachment of the provincial seal pressed into wax.

This Day in Province History: June 8, 2009

Today marks the opening of the historic Augustinian North American Convocation in St. Charles, Illinois, which gathered over 200 friars from the four provinces to celebrate five days of fraternity, spirituality, legacy, mission and future.

This Day in Province History: June 7, 1801

Old Saint Augustine’s Church in Philadelphia opened for worship on this day in 1801. The church was designed by Nicholas Fitz Maurice Fagan, and at the time was the largest church in Philadelphia.