George C. Egan, O.S.A.

Egan George (2)-17.jpeg

1886 – 1957 (November 16)

George Cullin Egan was born in Easton, New York in 1886, the son of Cornelius Egan and Katherine Cullin. His older brother, William, was also a member of our Province. George attended Saint Rita Hall at Villanova in September, 1905 and was accepted into the novitiate there on July 4, 1907. He made his simple profession of vows on July 6, 1908, and received his A.B. degree from the college in June, 1911. He was solemnly professed on July 6, 1911. He earned an M.A. degree in 1914. Following theological studies, George Egan was ordained to the priesthood in the Philadelphia Cathedral by Archbishop Edmond Prendergast on May 30, 1914. He celebrated his First Mass in St. Paul’s Church, Mechanicville, the following day. 

In November, 1915, Father Egan was appointed director, teacher and prefect of discipline at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Academy at Villanova. In December, 1918, he was transferred to Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish on Staten Island, New York, and where he served as prior and rector of postulants from 1924 to 1932. He was then appointed pastor at Saint Patrick’s Parish in Cambridge, New York, and in 1938, prior and pastor of our parish in Hoosick Falls. In 1944 he was transferred to Carthage, N.Y. where he held the same positions, and in 1947 was assigned to Greenwich, N.Y. again as pastor and prior. 

Father Egan’s final pastorate was in Hoosick Falls, N.Y. He was 71 when he died in Saint Mary’s Hospital in Amsterdam, N.Y., on November 16, 1957. Three days later, a Solemn Pontifical Requiem Mass was celebrated at the Hoosick Falls church by Bishop William Scully, after which Father Egan was buried in the community plot in Saint Saint John’s Cemetery in Troy. 

Father Egan was a gifted writer and poet, who dedicated many of his original compositions to the memory of friars and friends.