John P. Corley, O.S.A.

Corley John-17.jpeg

1909 – 1984 (May 12)

John Patrick Corley was born on July 21, 1909 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Patrick Corley and Delia Ruane. He had four brothers and one sister. After attending Saint Edmond’s Parochial School, he entered Augustinian Academy on Staten Island, New York, as a postulant in 1926. He was received into the novitiate on September 11, 1930, and professed temporary vows on September 12, 1934. He graduated from Villanova University with a Bachelor of Arts degree in philosophy in June 1935, and then pursued theological studies at Augustinian College, Washington DC, where he was ordained on June 7, 1938 by Archbishop Michael Curley.

Father Corley’s first assignment was to Saint Rita High School in Chicago, Illinois. He then was assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Jamaica, N.Y., and in 1944 entered the navy as a chaplain. In 1946 he was assigned to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Bronx, N.Y., and in 1952 joined the Mission Band of the Province with as a member of Our Mother of Good Counsel Community, Bryn Mawr, Pa. In 1962 he was again assigned to Saint Thomas Monastery, Villanova, where he taught theology until retirement. On May 12, 1984 Father Corley died at Fitzgerald-Mercy Hospital after a lengthy illness.

Father Corley was active in the Philadelphia area parishes, especially at Saint Matthew Parish, Conshohocken, where he assisted on weekends and also conducted the Miraculous Medal devotions each week. Father Corley is buried in his family plot at Holy Cross Cemetery, Yeadon, Pa.