George J. DeMarco, O.S.A.

DiMarco_George-17.jpeg

1906 – 1988 (May 24)

George J. DeMarco was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on April 23, 1906, the son of Savario DeMarco and Louisa Varnese. He was baptized at St Mary Magdalene dei Pazzi Church in Philadelphia. He studied at Villanova Preparatory School, and at Augustinian Academy, Staten Island, New York, beginning in 1920. He was received into the Order as a novice in June 1924 and after his novitiate he professed first vows on June 26, 1925. He then attended Villanova College from 1925 to 1928, and professed solemn vows on June 26, 1928. After completing his theological studies he was ordained to the priesthood on July 12, 1931 in Rome.

Father DeMarco was first assigned to St Rita Parish, Philadelphia, in 1932. In 1937, he was assigned to Immaculate Conception Parish, Hoosick Falls, N.Y. In 1938, he was assigned first to Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Chestnut Hill, Pa., and to St. Nicholas of Tolentine Parish, Jamaica, N.Y. On October 24, 1939, he was stationed at St. Rita High School, Chicago, Illinois. At the time of the establishment of the Midwest Province of Our Mother of Good Counsel, in 1941, Fr. DeMarco was assigned to that Province and was named Socius and Secretary of the Province.

In May, 1946, Fr. George was transferred to St Monica’s in Oconomowoc Wisconsin. He continued to be Province Secretary, was in charge of the Seminary Guild and was responsible for the brothers’ program. In February, 1948, he was assigned to Cascia Hall, Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he was a teacher in the high school. In the community he was a counselor and in charge of liturgy.
After this assignment, in 1960 Father was accepted into the Philadelphia Vice-Province and stationed at St. Augustine Preparatory School, Richland, New Jersey. There he was a teacher in the school, prefect of studies, and for a while the librarian. In 1965, he was assigned to St. Mary’s Parish, East Vineland, N.J. In 1973, he retired from teaching at St Augustine Prep. He also undertook to be the Vice-Province archivist and the director of the ordo. Fr. DeMarco died on Tuesday, May 24, 1988, at the age of 82.

He is buried in the Augustinian plot at Calvary Cemetery in West Conshohocken, Pa.