Francis A. Eigo, O.S.A.

Eigo Francis2-17.jpeg

1925 – 2007 (June 15)

Francis Augustine Eigo was born on December 10, 1925, in Smithville, New Jersey, the son of James J. Eigo and Cherry Applegate. He had 2 brothers and 2 sisters, and was baptized on January 3, 1926, at Sacred Heart Catholic Church, Mount Holly, N.J. He attended Smithville Grade School, Holy Name Parish School, Camden, N.J., Camden Catholic High School, Camden, N.J., and LaSalle College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvanua, where he obtained his BA degree. He taught Modern Languages, French and Spanish, at Camden Catholic High School from 1947 to 1958. During these years he continued language studies at Laval University and Middlebury College. He applied to the Order and was received as a novice on September 9, 1958, and after completing the year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, made profession of simple vows on September 10, 1959. After a year of philosophy studies at Villanova University, he went to Augustinian College, Washington, DC, for theological studies at the Catholic University of America from 1960 to 1964. He obtained the STL and the MA in June of 1964. Francis professed solemn vows on September 10, 1962, and was ordained to the priesthood on February 8, 1964, by Bishop John Graham, in Saint Thomas Church, Villanova, University, Villanova, Pa.

Fr. Eigo’s first assignment was to Austin Preparatory School, Reading, Massachusetts, as teacher from 1964 to 1966. In 1966, he was assigned to St. Thomas Monastery, and to Villanova University as professor. He pursued doctoral studies at the Catholic University of America and obtained the STD in 1969. From 1966 to 2004, Fr. Eigo taught at Villanova University in the Theology and Religious Studies Department, where he served as Department Chair from 1972 to 1977 and again from 1980 until 1990. For 30 years, from 1973-2003, he directed the yearly Theology Institute and saw to the publication of the proceedings of that event.

Fr. Eigo died June 15, 2007, at Saint Thomas of Villanova Monastery, Villanova, Pa. He is buried at Calvary Cemetery in West Conshohocken, Pa.