Norman W. Galloway, O.S.A.

Galloway Norman-17.jpeg

1920 – 1975 (June 25)

Norman William Galloway was born in Dumbarton, Scotland on May 2, 1920, the fourth of seven children born to Mary Burgess and James Galloway. The family immigrated to the United States and settled in the Bronx, New York, where Norman attended Saint Nicholas of Tolentine High School for two years and DeWitt Clinton High School for two years. He entered the novitiate on September 9, 1941 and was professed on September 30, 1942. He made his solemn profession on September 30, 1945. Norman attended Villanova College and Augustinian College and was ordained on June 7, 1949 in Washington, D.C. by Bishop John McNamara. He received his M.A. from Catholic University in 1950. One of Norman’s brothers, John, also entered the Order and became a member of the Midwest Province.

Father Galloway was first stationed at Saint Augustine Parish in Andover, Massachusetts. In 1954 was assigned to teach at Monsignor Bonner High School. In 1959 he was transferred to the Universidad de Villanueva, Havana, Cuba, where he served as chaplain. He was there on April 17, 1961, when the Augustinians in Havana were placed under house arrest after the unsuccessful Bay of Pigs Invasion, and subjected to weeks of cruel harassment. Finally they were able to attain asylum in the Swiss Embassy and Father Galloway returned to the United States and to Monsignor Bonner High School.

In 1962 he was assigned to the Province Mission Band and served in this ministry until 1968 when he was named prior and director of retreats at the Mount Augustine Apostolic Center, Staten Island, New York. In 1972 he was transferred to Biscayne College where he taught Sociology and served as Director of Job Placement.

Father Galloway died in Florida, following a protracted illness, on June 25, 1975, at the age of 55. His Funeral Mass was celebrated at St. Mary’s Hall Chapel, Villanova, after which he was buried in the community cemetery at Saint Mary’s Hall, until the friars interred there were later relocated to Calvary Cemetery, West Conshohocken, Pa.