Jerome D’Ambra, O.S.A.

D'Ambra Jerome0003-17.jpeg

1885 – 1963 (August 18)

Jerome D’Ambra was born on October 7, 1885 in Foro d’Ischia, Naples, Italy, one of six sons of Giovanni D’Ambra and Loretta Castagliolo. After immigrating to the United States he lived for many years in Philadelphia, where he was employed as a shoemaker, and became well acquainted with the friars at his parish of Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish, South Philadelphia. He entered the Order on May 29, 1931, and was vested on May 22, 1935. He made profession of vows on May 23, 1936 at New Hamburg, NY before Father Lorenzo Andolfi, Commissary at the time of the Italian Vice-Province. His solemn profession took place on July 4, 1939 at Our Lady of Pompeii in Dobbs Ferry, where he spent 20 years. He was cook for the community and was responsible for the altar boys of the parish. From 1956 to 1963 he was stationed at Saint Mary’s Parish in East Vineland, New Jersey.

Brother Jerome suffered from arthritis for several years and was in semi-retirement at Saint Mary’s Parish. Early in 1963 he was taken to Saint Agnes Hospital in Philadelphia for treatments but was soon released and brought to Saint Nicholas of Tolentine, South Philadelphia, to recuperate. Here he was attended by a visiting nurse several times a week. On the afternoon of August 18, 1963 he died suddenly in his room at St. Nicholas. His funeral Mass was celebrated in Saint Mary’s Church, East Vineland, and he was buried in the community plot of the cemetery there.