Michael Herbert Stanley, O.S.A.

1951 – 2022 (March 21)

Michael Herbert Stanley, was born on June 1, 1951, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Herbert A. and Teresa (Finnegan) Stanley. He had three brothers and two sisters. He was baptized on June 24, 1951, at St. Francis de Sales Catholic Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He attended St. Laurence Parochial School, [Highland Park] Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, (1957-1958), and St. Denis Parochial School, Havertown, Pennsylvania, (1958-1965). He then went to Msgr. Bonner High School, Drexel Hill, Pennsylvania, (1965-1969). He then attended the University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio, (1969-1971) and Villanova University, (1971-1973), graduating with a BA in Sociology. He was accepted into the Pre-Novitiate program at Villanova in August 1972 and received into the Order as a novice on August 29, 1974. After a year at Good Counsel Novitiate, New Hamburg, New York, he professed first vows on August 23, 1975. He then went to Augustinian College, Washington, DC, and attended the Washington Theological Union, (1975-1978), where he completed his theological studies, graduating with an M.A.  He professed solemn vows on January 20, 1979. In 1979, he went to Japan, where, from 1979 to 1981, he attended language school in Tokyo. He returned to the United States to serve as a deacon at Our Mother of Good Counsel Parish, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.  After ordination to the priesthood at Our Mother of Good Counsel Church by Bishop Patrick Ahern, Auxiliary Bishop of New York, on September 19, 1981, he returned to Japan, where he served from 1981 to 2002.

From 1981 to 1989, Fr. Michael was stationed in Our Mother of Consolation Parish, Nagasaki, and from 1989 to 2002 he served in Tokyo as the Formation Director, the Vicariate Treasurer and Vicar of the Japan Vicariate. In 2002, he returned to the United States and was stationed in Upstate New York, first at Saint Mary of the Assumption Parish, Waterford, (2002-2003), and Saint Augustine Parish, Troy, (2003-2009). In August of 2009 he returned to St. Mary of the Assumption Parish, Waterford, New York.

From his early days in formation, Fr. Michael was eager to work in the missions, particularly in Japan.  He was known for his quiet and cheerful manner, always supportive and ready to serve the people entrusted to his care.   In declining health in recent years, he remained active as he was able.  He died at St. Peter’s Hospital in Albany, New York, on March 24, 2022, at 70 years of age, in the 47th year of his profession and 41st year of priesthood.